Ejié Túé Ndáde Candidate AreaLast updated: August 2016
Ejié Túé Ndáde (Eh-jzhe-twé-in-DA-deh), or formerly Buffalo Lake, River, and Trails, is an area of approximately 2,177 km² that includes the western portion of Ejié Túé (Buffalo Lake) and Ejié Túé Dehé (Buffalo River), and lies within the southeastern corner of the Dehcho Region.
Importance of Ejié Túé Ndáde
- The Ejié Túé Ndáde Candidate Protected Area provides significant habitat for moose, waterfowl, and fish spawning. The area is also rich in cultural history, containing a number of archaeological, spiritual, and culturally significant sites. These include numerous cabins and campsites, trap lines and trails, burial sites, and other sacred areas.
"[We] need this land to teach our children our culture and traditional living." (K’atł’odeeche First Nation member, 2006)
- In 2010, the Government of the Northwest Territories sponsored Ejié Túé Ndáde as a Candidate Area.
- Most of Ejié Túé Ndáde is temporarily protected through the Dehcho Interim Measures Agreement interim surface and subsurface land withdrawal which expires December 18 2016.
- A Working Group was established in May 2010.
- All assessments are complete.
- The Ejié Túé Ndáde Candidate Area is Step 5 of the PAS process.
- Discussions continue on next steps for concluding the planning and decision making processes regarding the establishment of the Ejié Túé Ndáde Candidate Area.
Ejié Túé Ndáde Working Group Vision Statement
The Buffalo Lake (Ejie Túé), River (Ejie Túé Dehé) and Trails area has sustained people for generations and has enriched descendants of the Dene with beliefs, values, knowledge and skills. Rich in resources, the people have depended on this area for traditional harvesting activities and as a sanctuary for healing and spiritual celebration. By working together in harmony and by protecting the Buffalo Lake, River and Trails, we honour the sacred nature of the area for future generations.
- 2014 - Ejié Túé Ndáde | Ecological Assessment Phase 2 (pdf)
- 2012 - Ejié Túé Ndáde | Socio-Economic Assessment Phase 2-4 (pdf)
- 2011 - Ejié Túé Ndáde | Socio-Economic Assessment Phase 1 (pdf)
- 2011 - Ejié Túé Ndáde | Renewable Resources Assessment (pdf)
- 2008 - Ejié Túé Ndáde | Cultural Documentation for the K’atł’odeeche First Nation Phase 2 (contact the Conservation Planning Staff for more information)
- 2008 - Ejié Túé Ndáde | Non-Renewable Resource Assessment (full text pdf)
- 2007 - Ejié Túé Ndáde | Cultural Documentation for the K’atł’odeeche First Nation Phase 1 (contact the Conservation Planning staff for more information)
- 2007 - Ejié Túé Ndáde | Ecological Assessment Phase 1 (summary pdf | full text pdf)
- 2007 - Ejié Túé Ndáde | Hydrocarbon Assessment Summary Report (link)
- 2010 - Ejié Túé Ndáde | Working Group Terms of Reference (pdf)