Sambaa K’e (Trout Lake)Last updated: April 2014
The Sambaa K’e (salm-bah-k) candidate protected area is approximately 10,600 km² and is situated in the south-central Dehcho region.
- Factsheet on Sambaa K’e including a map (full pdf | map pdf)
- Photo Gallery of Sambaa K’e (viewer)
- Postcard of Sambaa K'e (pdf)
Importance of Sambaa K’e
- Sambaa K’e is rich in wildlife and fish and is important for subsistence harvesting. Moose, wolverine, many species of waterfowl, and some species at risk (boreal woodland caribou, olive-sided flycatcher and rusty blackbird) are found throughout the area .
- The Trout Lake watershed is of critical importance to the community of Trout Lake and downstream communities. The Sambaa K’e people maintain a very traditional lifestyle, relying on the land for basic necessities and to keep their culture strong.
- The Canadian Wildlife Service has sponsored Sambaa K’e area as a candidate National Wildlife Area.
- Most of the Sambaa K’e Candidate Area is temporarily protected through the Dehcho Interim Measures Agreement interim surface and subsurface land withdrawal which expires December 18 2015.
- Sambaa K’e is in Step 5 of the PAS process. A working group has been established, and documentation of the area's values is mostly complete. Boundary discussions started in September 2011.
- Further progress on this site may be dependent on consultations related to the overlap of Sambaa K'e Dene and Acho Dene Koe land interestes.
- 2012 - Mackenzie Valley | Quantitative Hydrocarbon Assessment for Mackenzie Valley (pdf)
- 2012 - Sambaa K'e | Socio-Economic Assessment Phase 2 (summary pdf | full text pdf)
- 2011 - Sambaa K'e | Socio-Economic Assessment Phase 1 Baseline Evaluation (summary pdf | full text pdf)
- 2011 - Sambaa K'e | Non-renewable Resources Assessment (link)
- 2011 - Sambaa K'e | Hydrocarbon Assessment Update (link)
- 2010 - Sambaa K'e | Renewable Resource Assessment Phase 2 (pdf)
- 2009 - Sambaa K'e | Non-renewable Resources Assessment Phase 1 - Minerals (link)
- 2009 - Sambaa K'e | Ecological Assessment Phase 2 (pdf)
- 2008 - Sambaa K'e | Hydrocarbon Assessment Summary Report (link)
- 2007 - Sambaa K'e | Non-Renewable Resource Assessment Phase 1 - Petroleum (link)
- 2007 - Sambaa K'e | Hydrocarbon Potential Summary Report (pdf)
- 2006 - Sambaa K'e | Cultural Documentation (contact the PAS Secretariat for more information)
- 2006 - Sambaa K'e | Ecological Assessment Phase 1 (pdf)
Working Group Reports
- 2012 - Sambaa K'e | Community Newsletter (pdf)
- 2007 - Sambaa K'e | Working Group Terms of Reference (pdf)
- More details on the working group can be found here.