Sambaa K’e (Trout Lake)Last updated: August 2016
The Sambaa K’e (salm-bah-k) candidate protected area is approximately 10,600 km² and is situated in the south-central Dehcho region.
Importance of Sambaa K’e
- Sambaa K’e is rich in wildlife and fish and is important for subsistence harvesting. Moose, wolverine, many species of waterfowl, and some species at risk (boreal woodland caribou, olive-sided flycatcher and rusty blackbird) are found throughout the area .
- The Trout Lake watershed is of critical importance to the community of Trout Lake and downstream communities. The Sambaa K’e people maintain a very traditional lifestyle, relying on the land for basic necessities and to keep their culture strong.
- In 2006, the Canadian Wildlife Service - Environment Canada sponsored Sambaa K’e area as a Candidate Area.
- Most of the Sambaa K’e Candidate Area is temporarily protected through the Dehcho Interim Measures Agreement interim surface and subsurface land withdrawal which expires December 18 2016.
- A working group was established in December 2006 and assessments of the area's values are mostly complete.
- Sambaa K’e is in Step 5 of the PAS process.
- Discussions continue on next steps for concluding the planning and decision making processes regarding the establishment of the Sambaa K'e Candidate Area.
- 2012 - Mackenzie Valley | Quantitative Hydrocarbon Assessment for Mackenzie Valley (pdf)
- 2012 - Sambaa K'e | Socio-Economic Assessment Phase 2 (summary pdf | full text pdf)
- 2011 - Sambaa K'e | Socio-Economic Assessment Phase 1 Baseline Evaluation (summary pdf | full text pdf)
- 2011 - Sambaa K'e | Non-renewable Resources Assessment (link)
- 2011 - Sambaa K'e | Hydrocarbon Assessment Update (link)
- 2010 - Sambaa K'e | Renewable Resource Assessment Phase 2 (pdf)
- 2009 - Sambaa K'e | Non-renewable Resources Assessment Phase 1 - Minerals (link)
- 2009 - Sambaa K'e | Ecological Assessment Phase 2 (pdf)
- 2008 - Sambaa K'e | Hydrocarbon Assessment Summary Report (link)
- 2007 - Sambaa K'e | Non-Renewable Resource Assessment Phase 1 - Petroleum (link)
- 2007 - Sambaa K'e | Hydrocarbon Potential Summary Report (pdf)
- 2006 - Sambaa K'e | Cultural Documentation (contact the Conservation Planning staff for more information)
- 2006 - Sambaa K'e | Ecological Assessment Phase 1 (pdf)
Working Group Reports
- 2012 - Sambaa K'e | Community Newsletter (pdf)
- 2007 - Sambaa K'e | Working Group Terms of Reference (pdf)